All of Maxihost's servers on the Bare Metal Cloud platform feature Intelligent Platform Management Interface (IPMI) so your server can be managed remotely from anywhere. You can access your server's IPMI through the browser or CLI. This is an important feature because it allows you to manage your server even if it's off or unresponsive.
IPMI is known to have security vulnerabilities, so we worked on a solution that completely isolates access through several security mechanisms, making sure only legitimate users can gain access to your server's IPMI console, we call that Remote Access. Remote Access is included at no additional charge.
Connecting to the VPN
The first step is to connect to our internal network by connecting to a VPN. This is needed because our IPMI runs on private IPs for security purposes.
- In the Servers menu, select the server you'd like to access.
- In the Overview tab, click on Remote access on the right side of the page.
- Click on Create session under the Step 1 section of the page to get credentials for a VPN connection.
- You'll need a VPN client. We recommend FortiClient VPN, which you can download from here. After installing it, make sure you fill out the fields correctly.
- Save the connection, insert the username and password provided and click on Connect.
Connecting to the IPMI
Now that you have established a VPN tunnel between your computer and Maxihost's internal network, you're ready to connect to the IPMI.
- Under Step 2 in the Remote Access page, click on the Get IPMI Credentials button. This will give you the private IP, username, and password for your server's IPMI.
- Copy the username and password, and click on the IP.
- On the IPMI login screen, insert the username and password provided.